Saturday, 29 December 2012

Play Together, Stay Together

During the holidays I was fortunate enough to be present at a family friend's house for their holiday music tradition. When all the family and friends gather on Boxing Day, they pull out guitars, an accordian, the spoons, and a huge binder filled with all the songs they've collected over the years. Those who know how play the instruments and everyone sings along with the songs they know. I really enjoyed it, and it started me thinking, "Why don't more families do this?"
Playing music and singing together used to be a common family activity, but it is very rare now. I myself come from a musical background, both my parents were in choirs well into adulthood and my father played piano and trumpet in his youth. My sister and I both took piano and band class. But we never played music as a family. Why is that?
Playing music as part of a group is a hugely social activity. It helps bond the group, and all families could use more bonding activities! Perhaps we have as a society, become accustomed to solitary activities. |Even singing to children is an activity that is becoming less and less common. I think we could use a little more of those "old-fashioned" activities that bring families closer together. 
I was glad to meet a family that still plays music together and consider it a tradition. I hope that when I have a family of my own I can do the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment